Set aside time to spend with each child
It can be for just 20 minutes, or longer – it’s up to us. It can be at the same time each day so children or teenagers can look forward to it.
Ask your child what they would like to do
Choosing builds their self-confidence. If they want to do something that isn’t OK with physical distancing, then this is a chance to talk with them about this.
Ideas with your baby / toddler
- Copy their facial expression and sounds
- Sing songs, make music with pots and spoons
- Stack cups or blocks
- Tell a story, read a book, or share pictures
Ideas with your young child
- Read a book or look at pictures
- Dance to music or sing songs
- Make drawings with crayons or pencils.
- Do a chore together - make cleaning and cooking a game.
With your teenager
- Talk about something they like: sports, music, celebrities, friends
- If it's safe, go for a walk - outdoors or around the home
- Exercise together to their favorite music